When you have Mother-In-Law problems, you have marriage problems. Susan Forward, Ph.D. the author of a well-written and practical book Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting Your Marriage asks a series of key questions to determine if you have a Toxic Mother-In-Law.
Does Your Mother-In-Law:
- Consistently criticize or belittle you?
- If widowed/divorced, turn to your husband to be a surrogate spouse?
- Regularly set up situations in which your husband is forced to choose between your needs and theirs?
- Consistently try to make you feel guilty if you say no to her?
- Make derogatory comments about your appearance, work, political or religious beliefs, or things that are important to you?
- Regularly give unsolicited advice?
- Criticise the way you raise your children?
- Make unreasonable demands on your time?
- Let you know you are unwelcome in their family?
- Drink excessively or abuse drugs?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, no you are not crazy. You have a Mother-In-Law who is creating chaos in your marriage and who tries to control your life.
The author goes on to describe the 7 Myths of In-Laws and the different types of Mother-In-Laws: Critics, Engulfers, Controllers, Masters of Chaos and Rejectors.
The book covers your expectations as a daughter-in-law, and your rights and responsibilities. Dr. Forward offers highly effective strategies for setting reasonable limits, getting your husband to stand up for you, and for ultimately protecting your marriage.
Having read all of the available Mother-In-Law books, I can honestly say this is the best. It is the only professionally researched and written book to offer concrete advice about our universal Mother-In-Law dilemmas. I have no affiliation with this book or author. However, you can click this handy amazon link below to purchase this great book!